Friday, April 23, 2010

The Rainbow Connection

Whenever I hear the phrase " the rainbow connection," I think immediately of Kermit the Frog and my Muppets record from when I was little. Years later, that phrase carries a whole new meaning.

In the world of baby loss, your rainbow baby is the child you have after the one you've lost. That gives Isaac an interesting place... Both a rainbow baby after the baby I miscarried when I was 13 weeks pregnant, and yet still the son I've lost, and so deeply still long for. If you've been reading a while, you may remember that rainbows were a particularly special thing during my pregnancy with Isaac. I saw so many of them, and each time I would tell Isaac all about it... the colors, how it arched across the sky...All the while being personally reminded of God's faithfulness and commitment to His promises.

Eliana is truly my rainbow baby. Our little "God has answered" fills our lives with so much joy and is such an answer to our prayers. Yesterday, I spent the afternoon with my friend, Carly, and her rainbow baby Finn,and my friend Susi and her rainbow baby Max. We have this sort of, rainbow connection.


The three of us met at an infant loss support group quite a while ago, and have walked together down the twisting, turning, and often unpredictable road of grief. And because of His goodness, God is allowing us to share in each other's joy through the birth of our sons' siblings.

We were thankfully able to gather a few shots yesterday of Max, Eliana, and Finn. And while each picture is almost identical, various babies were in different stages of falling over in each one, which I think is just funny and pretty darn cute :)






And this morning, my precious daughter not only allowed me to get a bow clipped in her hair, but gave me one of the most beautiful smiles...

28 comments:

KK said...

Eliana is beautiful!

Sheila said...

I can't believe I have never heard that term for the baby you have after a loss. I have a "rainbow baby" but I just call her my sweet little miracle :).
Pictures are so sweet, three adorable babies & Eliana's smile is beautiful.

Paige said...

She is just precious and I am so thankful you have found a group of mommies that "just know" what life is like after loss...and rainbow babies. I had a similiar support group of girls...I have been the only one to have another baby so far. Praying for the others who are so desperatly trying!

SUSI said...

Our afternoon together was wonderful and it was great meeting Eliana and seeing you.

I am so thankful to have met you and Carly. It is just so helpful to be able to talk to someone who just gets it and completely understands all the motions of having grieving our precious sons alongside of enjoying our rainbow babies.

Devon said...

they are so cute!

and i'm so glad you have people close by to share in this crazy journey...

Unknown said...

I love her smile!!! She is adorable! Any news on the job front??

Amy said...

She is so sweet!!! That smile is gorgeous! :) I hadn't heard the term rainbow baby before either! It is a very accurate description!! My Malachi is for sure a rainbow baby, but I think that I also consider my Sapphira a rainbow baby since she is our next girl after losing Natalie. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

Erika said...

so beautiful!!!!

Kamaile said...

Love Eliana's hair! She is so beautiful.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Love this! =)

Ruth said...

Eliana has the best hair ever - she is just adorable!

Jessica said...

stacy, she is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is so beautiful!

And I know it's not the same thing but I saw a rainbow on the way to the funeral of my young cousin who was tragically murdered recently. It gave me so much hope to look across a cloudy sky and see that rainbow. I knew she was still with us all, smiling down.

Ellie said...

I love that picture of Ellie! Her hair is so gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

Hi, Stacy! I have 4 children on my own, a niece, and a nephew, and still Eliana is ONE of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen!!

Unknown said...

I haven't visited your blog in a long time - but I have followed your story since you were pregnant with Isaac --- I am in tears looking at the photos of your daughter- she is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I came here to write and tell you I think of you and Isaac often when watching Yo Gabba Gabba, oddly enough :) There is one episode where DJ Lance does a dancy dance called "The Baby Isaac" --- and calls out during the song "Do the baby Isaac!" over and over - I always think of your little guy smiling down on us as we do that dance :) I'm sure he's smiling down on his baby sister!!

I will now think of you when i see rainbows - your story and strength has inspired me and made my faith even stronger. God bless!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Oh my goodness! I used to read your blog from H&F on the nest, up until right after Isaac's birth. For some reason I stopped reading (it was before google reader) and I just found it again. You can't imagine how incredibly happy I am for you, someone I've never even met, that God has blessed you with perfect little Eliana!!!

Holly said...

I think it's neat you all have your rainbow babies!! I love Eliana's smile!

The Knight Family said...

That is so sweet..... I bet that was really touching ... seeing all 3 of them there together, beside each other.

Sonya said...

She is beautiful and I can't get over the amount of hair that she has!

Jacks grandmom said...

Beautiful pictures- i love the little bow- she has a great smile too! How precious!
Aunt Robin

Heather said...

Those are some beautiful and cute babies!!! When my daughter was about 8 weeks old it was Halloween and we had 4 of her friends come over and everyone was in costumes. We have a similar picture with them all lined up on the couch. They looked like little propped up costume blobs, but it made me laugh. That picture was and is one of my absolute favorites and makes me smile every time. Enjoy your picture with your rainbow children, they are adorable!

Dawn~a~Bon said...

I remember you from the nest and later the bump (my sn is sgrl)- I am so glad to see that you have a beautiful little girl. She is an angel. Congratulations!

Tammy On the Go said...

oh the joy

Jenn Becker said...

I just found your blog and absolutely love this post. After 8 long years of infertility and 3 miscarriages, I too have a rainbow baby and she is also named Elliana. :) I have a close friend that has her own little miracles and the connection we have and the emotions we feel when all of our little rainbows are together is indescribable. Isn't God good?!

PS Your little Eliana is beautiful :)

Noelle said...

I just spent the last three hours reading your blog from the beginning.

I can't thank you enough. You have given me the courage that I so desperately need in my pregnancy.
I feel so lost, but you have helped me to see true bravery.

Thank you for such a beautiful story and for allowing me to see how your baby boy touched so many lives.

Whitney said...

Eliana is such a beauty! And she looks so much like you!

Unknown said...

She looks just like you!!!