Monday, February 21, 2011

Almost 1!

March 4, 2010.

Truly, it feels like a blink of an eye since that day. And yet, Eliana has grown and changed so much! Has it really almost been a YEAR? It feels like yesterday that I caught my breath and held it until I first heard her little cry right after she was born. It feels like yesterday that they held her up over the blue curtain and I saw that thick head of hair and beautiful chubby little face.

Eliana is walking, trying all sorts of new foods, talking up a storm, and is still as sweet and silly as ever. She loves making all the different animal sounds when you ask her what each one says, gives a high five, and thinks that pointing to a person's nose is hilarious. She is truly amazing. It is really hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that in a couple of weeks, we will be celebrating her first birthday. Elmo style. Because, she, like many other kids her age, seems to have become obsessed with this red furry friend.




The funny thing about time is that it always seems to feel too fast or too slow... meetings that seem to drag on, yet only lasted forty minutes; a year in a child's life that feels like it flew by in a matter of days.

One of my favorite psalms says:

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. ~ Psalm 90:12

Yet that can be so hard, can't it? Hectic schedules and too many demands can easily throw our priorities so out of whack... and that's when time flies, or it drags. To number our days, we need to be fully present, living fully in each moment, thanking God for both the little and the big things and knowing that each day is truly a gift.

12 comments:

Kates said...

I hope that you have enjoyed the picky sticky numbers for the months. I know that we really loved them for our daughter.

Kate from WI

Anonymous said...

I hope sweet Eliana has a wonderful birthday!!! We did Elmo for Jenna's 2nd birthday, and every time she would say goodbye on the phone, she would say "Elmo cake and candles, Love you bye!!" She did that for almost three months! It was so funny, Elmo is definitely a hit in our house!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Happy birthday, sweet girl! At this rate, Ellie and Ellie will be sharing a birthday!

SUSI said...

Time really is amazing and it is hard to believe how fast the past year has flown by. I think that our society makes it really hard some days to really treasure each and every moment of life. We allI know I need to learn to take things a little slower and truly treasure what we have. Since losing Lucas, I have become a lot better at it but there is definitely more room for improvement.

can't wait to celebrate Elmo style with Ellie in a few weeks.

Susi

Sonya said...

she is getting so big! Still as cute as ever! I hope her birthday is wonderful!!!!

Erica Largent said...

You have a beautiful little girl, and I so enjoy reading your blog. As a fellow teacher and mother to an angel, I watch you and see the hope you have maintained through it all. Thank you so much, and I hope you enjoy Elian's birthday!

Erica
www.thelargentlife.blogspot.com

Trish said...

happy birthday beautiful baby Eliana!! so good to see!!

Heather said...

Someone told me this and it really rang true for me: "sometimes the days seem very long, but the years go fast". I agree that time can seem very distorted, fast and slow, all at the same time. I hope that this second year is full of sweet and happy times for you all.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Eliana! It is amazing how fast that first year goes by. Thank you for reminding us all to treasure every moment.

Kamaile said...

Enjoy your day with that sweet girl. Happy Birthday Eliana!

Helga said...

Happy Birthday Ellie :) This year has gone by so fast!! I hope the little princess enjoyed her day!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Your photos of her are wonderful.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.com