Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Time for Everything

It's an interesting thing when you get to pick your child's birthday... at least the day she is scheduled to be born. Of course, God could always be up to something else. I suppose it's that I want there to be a good story or meaning behind the day we chose, rather than, "Well, it was the only day that week we could get the first scheduled c-section of the morning, and I didn't want to have to wait around all day not eating or drinking anything."

I had spent time scouring scripture for verses looking for inspiration as to what day to select. Originally, we thought Eliana's birthday would be the week of March 15th. I looked up 3:15, 3:16, 3:17, 3:18, and 3:19 verses. Of course John 3:16 came to mind, but the one I really loved was Zephaniah 3:17... The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing.

So when it was suggested we bump her delivery up two weeks, it caught me a little off guard. I know it is a good decision, but I hadn't really spent any time looking up 3:3, 3:4, or 3:5 verses ahead of time. After Eliana's delivery was scheduled for March 4th, I looked up 3:4 verses, and unless read in context, many of them are quite random.

Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. ~ James 3:4

Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" ~ Acts 3:4

For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?
~ 1 Corinthians 3:4

When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do." ~ Ruth 3:4

Yesterday my mom emailed me and shared that she had stumbled across Ecclesiastes 3:4 that morning. Ecclesiastes 3 is the well-known "A Time for Everything" passage... how there's a time for everything under the sun. Verse 4 of this chapter reads,

... a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance...

The New Living Translation of this verse reads,

... a time to cry and a time to laugh, a time to grieve and a time to dance...

I was so struck by the juxtaposition of the opposing verbs. While I had always thought of this scripture as talking about a distinct time to weep versus a distinct time to laugh, or a distinct time to grieve versus a distinct time to dance, I couldn't help but think about how March 4th is likely to be a day of both. A day full of joy and dancing as we welcome our daughter into this world... yet a day of grieving that her big brother isn't here to welcome her, too. A day of laughing as we meet Eliana and chuckle at all the cute little things babies do... yet a day of grieving that our time with Isaac was cut so short.

Of course, this is how I am anticipating the day to be, and I really don't know what it will actually be like. In talking with other moms who have lost a child and since given birth to another, it seems pretty accurate. The joy of welcoming a new baby won't erase the ache of missing the one you've lost; both co-exist, as I've shared before.

As far as finding Ellie's verse, though, God led me 1 Peter 3:4...

You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

What beautiful advice for a daughter... and for all of us women, really.

Thanks for holding us in your prayers as we continue to prepare with great hope for Eliana's birthday!

26 comments:

Delayna said...

Thank you for the precious update, Stacy! We are praying for you guys, and I especially appreciate all of the 3:4 verses you listed, as my miracle baby Zachary was born on March 4th. We will be praying for you that day and celebrating with you!
God Bless!

Carly said...

Stacy, the verse is beautiful and so meaningful. You are all in my prayers as March 4 approaches.

Bluebird said...

I love this post, thank you for sharing. Thinking of you all as the big day approaches.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Lemonade Award on my blog. You can check it out at: www.WomensMarriageMinistry.com.

Congrats & enjoy! Your blog is awesome!

Aimee

Mama E said...

I have been following your blog for a few weeks and wanted to tell you that this post filled my heart with peace. While this may sound strange since I obviously do not know you, I can only explain it by saying that your words and experience with finding your daughter's birthday reminded me of the unchanging presence God has in our lives. He is there. Nothing is by chance and everything happens for a reason. You only have to find it.

Good luck with the delivery! Us here in blog land look forward to meeting Eliana!

Sonya said...

Such precious verses. Eliana is going to be so blessed. I know that she already is and yes her birthday will be a time for joy and for tears some happy and some filled with grief but blessed for sure!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful way to pick the day of your daughter's birth!

The Fabulous Ms. Beth said...

You are in our prayers as you prepare to meet your precious girl. :)

Erika said...

stacy, my good friend lauren's b-day is March 4th. She has always said, "it's the only birthdate that is a sentence."

And it's a sentence with great meaning..."March Forth"-

that's what I feel like we babyloss mamas have to do- March Forth into what lies ahead, never forgetting our babies in heaven...but going forward and embracing the life we have ahead of us.


hugs to you!!!

xoxo,
Erika

funfinns.com
littletinyfootprints.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

What a PERFECT verse for march 4th!
Praying hard for all of you!
I cant wait to see pics of her sweet face!!

Lily Dawn said...

Beautiful =) I am so glad God sent you the perfect verse for what will be an unforgettable day!

Lily

Michelle R. said...

Love the verse, Stacy. Praise God for making it known to you:)

Anonymous said...

I love this post......Ericka's comment regarding the date as a sentence is also so moving.Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Stacy thank you again for a beautiful and challenging post. I fear I have been guilty of worrying too much about superficial things and I need to spend more time reflecting inwardly. Thank you for the gentle reminder. And I look forward to celebrating Eliana's birthday with you, Spencer and sweet Isaac in March xxx

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

I did the same thing with 12:28! I can't believe how fast Mar 4 is approaching! I can't wait to see how gorgeous Eliana is, especially given how handsome her older brother is! Blessings to you as you prepare to meet Eliana. Thanks for continuing to be such an inspiration!

Mary said...

wishing you much peace on this day!

Pretty Hills said...

That is so neat. I just wanted to shed tears of joy. It is so amazing how God lead us to verses in the bible and we can find all the answers we need, just from one sentence. He is truly amazing, and I am thrilled that you two are coming so close to the birth of little Ellie! By the way, I love you blog, and I am in love with your little girl's name! God bless!

Jen said...

That's a beautiful verse for your girl!

Here in Australia, we write our dates around the other way... her birth verse would be 4:3... I found a couple :)

Psalm 4:3... Know that the Lord has set apart the Godly for Himself; the Lord will hear when I call to Him.

Daniel 4:3... How great are His signs, how mighty His wonders! His Kingdom is an eternal kingdom; His dominion endures from generation to generation.

Ephesians 4:3... Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

1 Thessalonians 4:3... It is God's will that you be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality (don't know how uplifting this one is, but it's good for our girls to know *smile*)

I think the one you have chosen is so very precious. Pray it over her every day... it will come to pass :)

Holly said...

What a beautiful and wonderful verse for her day!!

Poppy said...

Both verses, the one you chose and the one your Mom shared with you are perfect for the occasion of Ellie's birth.

It won't be long now. I keep you and Spencer in my prayers.

Jane and Stuart said...

That verse is perfect! I love reading your blog. I sent it to my mom who lost a child many years ago and She found it so comforting. Thank you!

Jess said...

Both the Ecclesiastes and the 1 Peter verse are so perfect. I will be praying for the special day of March 4th!

Natalie Vick said...

Stacy, you have such a gift for sharing God's love with the world! Thank you for this post. I wish you and Spencer the very best as March 4th approaches! Take care :)

The Grammarian said...

So awesome. Continue to call this verse from Peter to mind often with your daughter -- that she might remain committed to cultivating this inner beauty (just like her mum!).

Unknown said...

precious. there is definitely a time for everything. i'll be praying.