Thursday, August 28, 2008

Rain

This morning in my letter to Isaac, I told him how it is raining today. And then I told him that we needed the rain. What I meant was that the plants and the grass needed the rain because they have been having a hard time without it. I think God had a different intention about what He wanted me to hear and to know through those words this morning.

On my way in to work this morning, I thought about the rain... I thought about how wilted and withered things look without it, and about how the rain plays a huge role in allowing the grass, flowers, and trees to be vibrant and full of life.

And then I thought about how our hearts our so much like that.

Sometimes the rains come in a peaceful way... its touch gently affecting everything and bringing it life. In our lives, sometimes the rains are like that... almost cleansing in a way... refreshing.

Other times the rains come in full-force, harsh and chaotic. They can do a lot of destruction. I remember (stupidly) driving home last year in a thunderstorm and having to pull over because I couldn't see what was in front of me. Branches were falling off trees, and I am lucky one didn't go through my windshield. Some storms of life are like that, too... they feel chaotic and seem impossible to navigate. Yet somehow, on the other side, order is restored and beauty revealed.

That's so much where I feel like we are right now. In the midst of heavy rains and harsh winds, things flying at us from every direction, and often not able to see but two inches in front of us.

I think of all sorts of passages in scripture where rains and storms are mentioned... like Noah and the flood, with Jesus and his disciples in the boat when He calms the storm. A passage I was drawn to this morning as I was thinking about all of this has nothing to do with a storm though. It comes from 2 Corinthians 4, verses 7-9 and then 16-18:

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


So often I feel hard pressed, perplexed by the contradictions of our circumstances with who I know my Jesus to be, and often struck down by feelings of frustration, sadness, and sometimes even hopelessness. But I know that God doesn't abandon us even in the times we may feel as though he's silent, and I know that even though we may feel struck down, that we are not destroyed.

I don't know that I feel as though our troubles are light; in fact, I feel as though our burden is heavy. But I know that what I can see in front of me is temporary, and that the work that God is doing through Isaac's life and his story is eternal.

What a gift to know that my son is making an impact on eternity.

9 comments:

donnaj said...

Your son IS making an impact on many as is his Mommy and Daddy. I came to your blog through a friends blog a few weeks ago. I am praying for Isaac each day in my quiet time and also for you - for continued trust and acceptance in an all-knowing and all-loving Abba. I am learning through His Word that He truly does hurt when we hurt, cry when we cry and most importantly wraps His arms around us with love and comfort like no other. I am blessed by your posts.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to see your faith growing along with your belly. As always, I am in awe of you.

Anonymous said...

Your story is such an inspiration to me and the love you have for Isaac overwhelms me. Thank you for updating us...

Anonymous said...

Stacy..I as well made it to you thru another blog...Im new to your story, and read the beginning..You will be in our thoughts and most defiantly in our prayers....Im not a mother..but I can imagine being as scared as you..Just Remember..God is always there for us....He's the almighty..If there is a miracle possible..it will be thru him..Keep the Faith,..They do happen!
Much Love, and God Bless..
Allison Brady

The will of God will never take you were the Grace of God will not protect you.

The Writer Chic said...

Blessings, Stacy. He is granting you peace and wisdom in droves. You do my heart good. Hugs, M

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers still and I think of you and your family daily. Like others said, your son is making a difference, don't ever forget that.

Joanne said...

You are so wise. God is using your situation to "teach" others(along with you and your husband)My heart goes out to you. I am praying for your beautiful son and his parents.

So Blessed said...

Every life that is created has purpose and meaning...and that is certainly true for your precious son, who is so loved by his heavenly Father, as well as by his earthly family.

Something in your post reminded me of a quote I read somewhere...that says, "When we can't see God's hand, we can trust His heart". I guess, for me, that means that even when things aren't as I'd choose for them to be, I can still trust my Father's heart. It's not easy, but with His help, I can do it.

I pray that as you continue your journey you will keep trusting Him, too, because He won't leave you.

HennHouse said...

Your wisdom is just amazing. Thank you for sharing this beautiful analogy.