Sunday, September 14, 2008

So THAT'S what a contraction is...

This morning I woke up and for reasons from which I will spare you, realized that things weren't quite right. I called the on-call doctor who wanted us to come down to Holy Cross so I could get checked out. Assuming the worst, I grabbed my hospital bag, a bag full of things for Isaac, my camera, and forgot my ID. Great! Meanwhile, Spencer DVR'ed the Jets game and got the car ready :)

We went to Holy Cross Hospital, had a horrendous time checking in (I was literally frustrated to the point of tears), and I was taken to triage in the labor and delivery unit and hooked up to a monitor. As we were there, a few other girls were admitted, chatting up a storm about how excited they were, how this is every grandparent's dream, etc. and at that point I did just burst out crying. Of course, that's the way it should be... excitement, anticipation... but it was hard to hear.

The on-call doctor came in, I filled him in again on what was going on, as well as the brief history of this pregnancy (he was somewhat familiar with it, but we havent' seen him at all through this), and the fact that should I need to deliver, it would have to be at Shady Grove due to the fact that we have met extensively with folks there and they are expecting us.

He took a look at the feed from the monitor, and apparently I has having contractions that were coming about 2 minutes apart. Nice. I suppose I might have recognized a contraction if we ever talked about "normal" pregnancy things in my prenatal visits, but since we don't, I had no idea.

I almost lost it again, mostly because I was just scared that they wouldn't be able to get them stopped. I was told they were Braxton Hicks, which they say are different from labor contractions, but you can never be fully sure. So, they (like me) wanted them stopped. After an IV and two shots of some "stop the contractions" medicine they let me come home. I have a perscription for an oral form of the medicine that I need to take every 4 hours from now until the end of the pregnancy. I was also told to take off of work Monday and Tuesday until my OB appointment Tuesday afternoon. So, it looks like I get an extended weekend :)

When I asked the doc what was causing the BH contractions, he said that sometimes with babies with an omphalocele there can be excess amniotic fluid which causes your uterus to enlarge, thus making your body "think" you're farther along than you are. He said that could be what was happening here. At each of my ultrasounds, my fluid has been at the highest end of the normal range, but perhaps it has now crossed over to the plain old high range. In addition to my OB visit on Tuesday, he wants me to get an ultrasound to have the fluid checked.

Anyhow, PLEASE pray that this medicine will do the trick and keep the contractions stopped. Not that I will ever be ready, but I am not ready for Isaac to be here yet. Also, it would really NOT be a good thing for this to turn into an emergency c-section because of all of the staff that needs to be present, how unique of a situation it is, etc. And please pray for my nerves :)

20 comments:

AngelsAmid said...

I'm praying the medicine does the trick! I'm praying for baby Isaac too

Angela said...

Oh I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I would have burst out crying in the waiting room, too. :(
I can only imagine this is all just like a bad dream in a way for you and Spencer. I pray that you will just continue to be strong in the Lord.

Kristin (kekis) said...

Oh, Stacy. I just wish that all of this could be easy and simple, but I guess God has some lessons for everyone to learn here. He will give you strength and bring you peace. You and Spencer continue to rely on Him, and all will be well again someday. And until that day, we're all here for you too.

Please get some rest, and I'll be looking for an update in a couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie... I can't imagine how scared you must have been!

I know a million people have probably mentioned it, but have you been in contact with the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep foundation yet?

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

I would love to see one of these beautiful hearts capture your family.

Still praying for you, precious mother.

Laura said...

Praying for you....praying for more time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the scare today. I just can't imagine how you both were feeling. I will continue to pray for peace for both of you and His will for precious Issac. Rest!

Jennifer said...

Stacy,
Please know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers all the time. I cannot even imagine how scared you must have been this morning. I hope that the medicine works and that you can keep those contractions away for another month!!!!!!! Please let me know if there is anything that I can to help you. For right now, we will continue sending our thoughts and prayers your way!!!!

The Writer Chic said...

Oh Stacy....Hang in there hon. Always praying, M

Robin Bair said...

Are you on Nifedipine? If you are I was on that for a month and it got me to 36 weeks with twins which no one thought would happen. It didn't stop the contractions but it made them milder so I could sleep. (with the help of Tylenol PM) I'll pray the meds work for you too. I'll pray God provides you comfort and strength for your delivery day and that he'll surround you and your husband with loving nurses and doctors.

Anonymous said...

You are so incredibly brave. I have never left a comment before, but have been following your blog. Our prayers are with you.

Rachel said...

you dont know me but i will be praying for you. i am so moved by your story and so sorry you have to walk through this. Im praising the Lord that you have Him to lean on, and be carried by. He is near. Remember he loves Isaac far more than you can imagine and He is ner to him too. with love-

Anonymous said...

Stacy~
I don't know you. But I have been praying for you so much. Praying for peace for you and Spencer. And for little Isaac.
Sorry you had to go through that in triage. I would have cried too.
Many prayers,
Jodi

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Thinking of you so much, and hoping the meds kick in soon and stop your contractions. I remember when I was carrying my son Will (different condition, same prognosis) and the doctors feared I might be going into premature labour, just hoping and hoping that I'd get a bit more time before he arrived. (I did - an extra six weeks!) Praying for you and hoping that little Isaac stays put for the time being! Keep hanging in there. XXX

Anonymous said...

I am consistently sending you positive thoughts and prayers your way. Issac is lucky to have such wonderful, strong, loving parents.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you all. I pray that God, family and friends would provide you all the strength, rest, hope and help your family needs. Big hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family constantly. I wish you and your husband peace.

The Osborne Family said...

I am still praying for a miracle. I had to have those awful shots to stop my contractions as well--and I had to take those pesky pills every 4 hrs too :( I KNOW what a scary trip to the hospital it must have been. I will keep on praying for that precious baby boy and for you and your hubby.

Cathy said...

Praying so hard for your nerves to calm, also for the contractions to cease until all the team is present and ready. Also that the fluid will be within normal limits. Thank you for your post andn will be waiting on results from Ob appt.

Brenda said...

I am praying for you and your family. Know that God is with you and he knows the plans he has for you, Spencer and Issac.

Anonymous said...

This message is actually for Robin that stated she had taken Nifedipine for stopping contractions. I just wanted to ask her a couple of questions so if anybody can help me get ahold of her; this is the first time that I've been on this site so I don't know how to use it. But I can be contacted at ProudMommy368@aol.com. Thanks.